[Advaita-l] Paper on SSS

prem d p prem_d_p at yahoo.co.in
Thu Apr 19 10:08:10 CDT 2007

namaste...

  dear list members,

  i had yesterday posted a mail in reply to sri ramakrishna's post on the subject. my post contains a serious error which i deeply regret.

  i had written:

  When we consider the pancha-kOshas covering the Atma, we can see that the
  vijnAnamayakOsha is the innermost and hence a good candidate for the first
  adhyAsa. VijnAnamaya kOsha is the ‘antakarana’ consisting of budhi, ego,
  manas-indriya.

  i correct thus: anandamaya-kosha is the inner-most kosha as per vivekachudamani and taitiriya upanishad.

  in this context i would like to request the learned list members to discuss the comparative status of the vijnanamaya kosha and anandamaya kosha as per scriptures with regard to their relative primacy and composition based on the tri-gunas.

  pranam.

  ...prem

  P.S

  my earlier post is reproduced fully below:

  namaste

  dear sri rama,

  Rama wrote:

  I have taken the suggestion of Prem, and I have changed my
  descriptions in the file from observer to "knower-I". I agree that
  observer corresponds to saaxii and is misleading, when I merely meant
  the ego or "knower-I". I have uploaded the new file along with some
  typos fixed, pointed out by Praveen (in private email). Thanks much.

  Sri Prem, please see if it makes better sense now.

  Rama

Prem:

  I think it looks better now, but with the qualification that ‘knower-I’ is understood
  to be worthy of the epithet ‘knower’ only after its adhyAsa on Atma. Thus any
  description of the type ‘observer’, ‘knower’, ‘seer’, even if it is not exactly the
  pure ‘witness’ status of Atma, cannot be used as a fundamental or first or
  primary adhyAsa on Atma as they themselves are the result of a prior adhyAsa
  on Atma.

  It follows that if a first adhyAsa on Atma is necessary to be posited then it has
  to be ‘anAtma’ in nature. The only anAtmic manifested entity that I can
  conceive of is ‘nAma-rUpa’. So when we say that the ego is the fundamental
  adhyAsa on Atma, then we necessarily mean the mere nAma ‘I’.

  When we consider the pancha-kOshas covering the Atma, we can see that the
  vijnAnamayakOsha is the innermost and hence a good candidate for the first
  adhyAsa. VijnAnamaya kOsha is the ‘antakarana’ consisting of budhi, ego,
  manas-indriya.

  I would like to suggest that the paper also include a deliberation on the
  kArana upadhi (mAya) which is a limiting adjunct to Brahman, along with the
  current consideration of the mAya-kArya upAdhi which is the pancha-kOsha.

  pranam.

prem