[Advaita-l] Guru Stotram Author

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 1 00:06:57 CDT 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Dr. V. Prasanna Shrinivas wrote:

> Namaste
>
> The author of Guru Paduka Stotram is Sri Sacchidananda Shivaabhinava
> Narasimha Bharati Mahaswamiji
>
> http://www.svbf.org/sringeri/journal/vol1no3/paduka.html
>
> namo namaH shriigurupaadukaabhyaam.

and

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Sriram Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Guru Paduka Stotram was composed by Sri Sachidananda Shivabhinava Nrusimha
> Bharathi Swamigal, one of the previous Shankaracharyas who adorned the
> Dakshimnaya Sringeri Sharada Peetam.

But is this the same Guru Paduka stotram the original poster was referring
to?  I don't think so.

Compare http://www.svbf.org/sringeri/journal/vol1no3/paduka.html

with

http://www.chinmayauk.org/Resources/Invocations/Guru Paduka Stotram.pdf

I also know of a tantrokta Guru Paduka Stotram

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, kuntimaddi sadananda wrote:

> PraNAms to all
>
> tvameva maata ca pitaa tvameva ...
> I was told that it is from Mahabhaarat - chanted by
> Gandhaari. I do not have exact reference to establish
> its validity.

A quick search through the texts of the Mahabharata and Skanda Purana did
not turn up any mention of Guru Gita though I admit my methods were crude.

These stotras are for all intents and purposes anonymous, though that
doesn't in anyway detract from their message.