[Advaita-l] Advaita practice

Sundar Rajan avsundarrajan at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 00:44:35 CDT 2007

Namaste Sadananda-ji,

  Well, it is acknowledged that advaita is an
understanding rather than practice - for that firm
understanding, what is needed and accepted is firm
abidance in the knowledge - through shravanam, mananam
and nidhidhyaasanam.

  I am curious about the term 'understanding' here. Does a normal person
  'understand' themselves to be their body or know themselves to be the
  body instinctly without any need to understand.

  When I say I am this body (as an example) , I know myself (instinctively,
  conclusively) to be this body - there is no understanding here.

  When I say I am cold, I experience the cold - again there is no understanding
  but there is direct experience.

  Besides if Advaita is an understanding only, then shravanam and mananam
  will suffice. Mananam will clear doubts and lead to understanding.

  Why Nidhidhyaasanam? Perhaps the scriptures by giving analogy of
  the wasp and the caterpillar point to intense contemplation needed
  to remove the notion that one is the body.(i.e remove the viparita bhavana).
  Then one remains as the self - this is direct experience, realization.

  Could this be called understanding?
  Just a question (maybe a loaded question :-)..

  regards
  Sundar Rajan