[Advaita-l] Upanishads, Samkhya and Buddhism

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Aug 21 22:36:29 CDT 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, mc1 at aol.com wrote:

> The Upanishads, Samkhya and BUddhism are three of the earliest and
> individually most seminal sources of Indian wisdom. I am interested in
> aspects of Buddhism that have grown out of the earlier two systems -
> ideas that might have given birth to early Buddhist categories of
> thought. For instance, karma and rebirth, whatever their origins, gave
> rise to these concepts within Buddhism albeit with intention as a
> substantial difference and allusions to nonduality was seen in the
> Creation Myth of the Vedas.
>
> Might any of our revered subscribers suggest additional concepts or know
> of any easily available study on this topic. Thanks. -michael chandra

Patrick Olivelle (hope I spelled that right) in the introduction to his
translation of the Upanishads discusses their cultural background and
their relationship to the beginnings of Buddhism.

Coomaraswamy was I believe an art historian by training and did not read
primary sources so I would take his opinions with a pinch of salt.