[Advaita-l] Concept of soul

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 18:09:01 CDT 2007

I think it is the other way around. A jivA can identify itself with
any material body, even if that does not show any sign of "life" such
as growth, activity, decay, etc.  And then suffer the consequences of
such an identification.

Think of this, ahalya was cursed to become stone and remain as such
till Sri rAma liberated her. Would you say that stone had life? Then
does all stones have life? But the jIva called ahalya suffered that
state of grossness of stone and she was bound to it.  So are other
instances, where other beings were bound trees etc.

When a man and woman mate to produce a baby, are they producing a
jIva? No at the point of conception, a jIva based on its karma and the
will of God identifies itself with that embryo, suffers the
consequences thereafter.

I may be totally wrong, but I believe that a soul/jiva can be made to
identify itself with any material body and suffer based on its karma.

So if God ordains that jIvA has to cling on whatever these scientists
create and suffer, then it will have a soul - otherwise it will not.
Sri rAma did walk a lot on stones, there was but one ahalya.

SrImAtre namaH

Ravi

On 8/23/07, Mahesh Ursekar <mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pranams!
>
> If we manage to create life from scratch, does that debunk the soul theory?
> See below:
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249628/
>
> Your valuable views would be appreciated,
>
> Thanks, Mahesh

RaviSankar
<abhayambika at gmail.com>