[Advaita-l] Strive for Knowledge.

Sriram Krishnamurthy asksriramjobs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 04:23:38 CDT 2007

Dear Astikas,

"Knowledge alone can relieve us of our miseries. We, as persons who are
really keen on our own happiness, must strive to avoid future birth. No
purpose is served by our other efforts. Everyone should spend at least some
time in pursuit of knowledge of the Atman. Of course, it is not possible for
all to become Jnanis overnight. It is a matter of concern to Me that people
do not devote at least some time for Vedanta every day. Some feel that it is
impossible for them to even temporarily suspend their worldly activities.
Thinking so, they do not devote any time for spiritual Sadhana. This is
nothing but a pointer to their insincerity. It is not as if one cannot find
a few minutes for this purpose. Instead we see people wasting their time by
reading fiction and viewing TV and cinemas. If people spend their free time
reading spiritual books, chanting the name of Ishwara and performing worship
of God, they will attain higher good"

Source : Dakshnimnaya Sringeri Sri Sharada Peetam Shankaracharya His
Holiness Sri Bharathi Theertha Maha Swamigal

Om Tat Sat,
Sriram