[Advaita-l] Analysis of the Mind-3

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 19:16:51 CST 2007

--- prem d p <prem_d_p at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>   I would like to request some clarifications
> on your statements below within quotes:
>
>   '...For example, the existence of
> heaven or hell or is there life after death or life
> before the birth, is there a God who is the ruler of
> this world, etc, can not be established by objective
> experimentation...'
>
>   Heaven or Hell, God as the ruler of the world, etc
>
> being our conceptions or even super-normal
> experiences,
> wouldn't they qualify as objectively verifiable
> though
> by supra-normal means?

Shree Prem - PraNAms

The fact that you say they are supra-normal implies
they are beyond the normal means of knowledge or
pamaaNa - pratyaksha and anumaana, etc. We can know
them only through shabda pramaaNa or shaastra
pramaaNa.  Objetifyable means they can be tested
either through pratyaksha or indirectly by anumaana
that is by deductive or inductive reasoning.

For shaastra pramaaNa to work, I should have faith on
the shaastra.

>   I do realize that God as Brahman or Self or
> Transcendental Reality is not objectively
> conceivable.

Even heaven and hell and dharma, punya and paapa etc
all come under the same things.
Even consciousness we have a problem in establishing
objectively since it is the very subject. Scientists
are now exploring how consciousness arises in matter.
Once we objectify consciousness for analysis it is no
more consciousenss - since anything that is
objectified is inert and mityaa.

>   Also while contemplating on the subject-object
> discussion in your posts, I was yet again struck
> by the two processes of zero-ing in on Self:
>
>   1) Self as Witness or Seer
> 2) Self as the substratum of stream of phenomena
>
>   and their non-difference even on an intellectual
> examination, and that it amounts to tat tvam asi !

Yes. you are absolutely right.

Hari Om!
Sadananda