[Advaita-l] RamaNa, Shankara and Krishna

Ramanathan P p_ramanathan at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 3 22:05:47 CST 2007

Sri Vishwanath, I can only say a few brief things
according to my personal opinions.

First do we believe in God as a personal being/truth
who would correspond to the devotee, etc? That is, do
we accept the words of Sri Krishna in the Gita? We can

understand each other's personality; the brain
accomodates for this. But definitely even this with
regard to God is a big question mark. So your question

on incarnation comes later.

If you accept the personal aspect of God as true as
yours at least, then why should it bother whether He
who created this universe out of His will, etc, can
also incarnate in response to His creation?

So the real question is the former: to what extent do
you accept God as a personal reality? Brahman as most
use the term is rather an abstraction, and it is
doubtful if many understand it as a spiritual reality
and not as a material completeness.

The standpoint of the scriptures, etc. is that teh
truth behind all observables is consciousness: a
Self-operating Principle and not what appears to be
merely law abiding. This is Brahman, more or less: by
itself, it is nirguna; put our perspective in middle,
it is saguna. The appearance includes you and me and
earth and sky. So why not a Sri Rama and a Sri
Krishna?
That is, if you accept that it is more than just plain

material law and rather a Conscious Truth that
governs,
then leave open the possibility of something more than

what you can affirm through reason alone. That
Conscious truth is at the back of all our
consciouness;
it need not reveal its true nature to one and all.
Perhaps if you seek it within, more will be revealed.
The scriptures are all founded on such revelations.

Ramanathan