[Advaita-l] BrahmaGYAna and jIvanmukti - 5 (Other References)

Ramanathan P p_ramanathan at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 19:57:25 CST 2007

--- Ram Garib <garib_ram at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Sri Asad Mustafa wrote:
>
> > Just a curiosity.
> >
> > Ramana Maharishi says that as you start enquiring
> > into
> > the nature of self, it vanishes. And the real
> > non-dual
> > Self starts shining in its place. The path to this
> > realization is self-enquiry. Where is the need for
> > technical exegesis of scriptures?
>
> Dear Sri Asad:
>
> Ramana takes basic intellectual grasp of vedAntic
> scriptures as granted. His method may look like a
> very
> 'lean' version of vedAntic enquiry, but in fact
> presupposes a very high level of spiritual maturity.
>
> With regards,
> Ram Garib

Sri Asad, Garib,

It also seems that discussing along the scriptures
provide a plank of authenticity in group discussions;
otherwise each may merely be spewing out their
thoughts and trying to impress the others. The forum
will not be worth its respect, if it reduced to that
(unless all members are saints as well). This is
similar to Sri Asad's quote of Sri Ramana: because he
quotes the saint, we take a second look.

In Hindu religious circles, either one must be a
scholar who can validate one's opinions with the
sages' sayings (scriptures), or the person must be a
Sannyasi who will get universal homage, whether
scholar or not.
Otherwise you can help as you know, and there it
should end. Many of us who know some religion are
definitely grateful to the scholarly members who
maintain a high level of discussion: it is both useful
and important, in the line of ancient tradition and
one of our methods of searching uncompromisingly for
Truth.

Ramanathan