[Advaita-l] Re: ignorance and its origin.

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Wed Feb 7 08:12:01 CST 2007

Dear members
I think it is not correct to say that ignorance is beginningless.Perhaps
what is meant is one gets awakened to the fact that one was not aware of a
particular thing though it was there all the time.As far as that individual
is concerned his ignorance about that thing began when he was made aware of
it and ended immediately.Both were simultaneous.A tree`s beginning is its
seed.
In this sense we can say every thing has its beginning.But in a cosmological
sense we can not emphatically say that this was its beginning as we can not
prove it .So it is assumed that Time,Avidhya are without a beginning.I think
that by deductive reasoning we can say that everything should have had a
beginning but we are unable to supply logical proof after some
deductions.Also what one  means by beginning also has to be clearly defined.
The Purusha Suktham clearly attempts to define creation especially human
species.Logically it may appear defective but our intelligence to understand
it may be inadequate.Like a dog`s brain not able to understand the working
of an automobile.Our brains are also limited in that sense.So we formulate
axioms and build our thought process till we are confronted with contrary
facts which are verifiable by all.
R.Krishnamoorthy.