[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 46, Issue 7

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:17:11 CST 2007

praNAm.h shrI Bhaskar,

> praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> I think we have stopped this discussion earlier because of Sri
> Vidyashankar
> prabhuji's intervention as a moderator.

My apologies for bringing up the topic again. I wish to learn why the
differences between the tradition and SSS are important, and I am sure (and
hope) the moderators would understand as long as the topic does not snowball
into a shouting match.

Again the topic rised its hood
> onceagain and as usual  targetting my beloved parama guruji Sri SSS

Frankly, I am not sure how SSS was targeted by either shrI Jayanarayanan's
or my mail. People have at best said that SSS could be/was wrong (Note btw,
in just the same way as SSS said prior advaitins were wrong). I am not sure
if disagreement necessarily means disrespect, and as long as there is no
disrespect, discussions could prove fruitful.

...Due
> to time constraints I am not able to participate in this discussion
> atleast
> next one week...But let me bluntly say that *the gradation in self
> knowledge*  is simply shAstra vAkya viruddha

But JMV did not say there is a gradation in AtmaGYAna. The gradation claimed
is wrt the force of the vAsanas.

( goes against scriptural
> verdict such as bramavit bramaiva bhavati, nEha nAnAsti kiNchana)...Here
> knowing brahman is nothing but *realizing* that  brahman is our own true
> svarUpa...we cannot say I have partly understood brahman & still I remain
> *gnAni mAtra* & I need to do *something* ater jnAna to become *brahman* /

But again JMV did not say something needs to be done to become brahma.
Something needs to be done to attain jIvanmukti. And emphasis is placed on
jIvanmukti rather than simply AtmaGYana for obvious reasons.

jnAni in absolute sense...brahma jnAna is not an objective knowledge like
> that...He who has realized that he is the secondless brahman
> (yEkamEvAdvitIya brahman) beyond all action, means of action and fruits
> there of, is the ONLY real jnAnin.  Such an enlightened one has nothing
> more to accomplish to *become* something else from what he *ever*
> was/is/will be...calibrating jnAni-s like jnAni mAtra & jIvan mukta etc.
> etc. and entrusting him certain disciplining acts (vidhi-s) etc. etc.

Could you let me know if this is your position -- that no one can become an
AtmaGYAni unless he is already firm in the "inner and outer discipline"
(Please see the quotes I gave to shrI Jayanarayanan from the Method of
Vedanta.) In other words, are you contending SV (svAmi vidyAraNya's) claim
that AtmaGYAna could arise without perfection in the inner and outer
discipline. Do let me know. Thanks.

A.Siddhartha.

are