[Advaita-l] bhAmati and vivarNa schools

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 23:13:42 CST 2007

>What is the difference between bhAmati and vivarNa schools of advaita
>vedAnta. Who are the founders of each of these schools?
>
>I've read some summaries on the schools but nothing 'concrete' can the
>learned members of this list please help me (in detail)Kind regards,Krunal

In the midst of other ongoing discussions, the above post seems to have got
ignored. We have a basic description at our website,
www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp, but it is a barebones version.

To really get into the fine points of the two sub-schools, I would suggest
to get hold of a good translation/study of appayya dIkshita's
siddhAntaleSa-sangraha. There is an old 1935 translation by Sri S S
Suryanarayana Sastri, from the Dept of Philosophy, Univ of Madras, and there
is a newer 1990 translation by Esther Solomon, from the L D Institute of
Indology, Ahmedabad.

Regards,
Vidyasankar