[Advaita-l] Maha-Sivaratri Date for 2007

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Feb 13 23:19:34 CST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, RAMESH RAMANAN wrote:

> Dear Sri Jayanarayananji,
>
>  I do believe that Mahashivratri falls on February 16, 2007, Friday in
>  India. As the US is about 10 hours behind Indian time,

To be precise the east coast is 10.5 hours behind and the west coast is
13.5 hours behind.

  may be, the same
>  festival may be celebrated later in the US. But I don't understand how
>  it could be on February 15, 2007 in the USA.

Earlier you mean.  You subtract as you go westwards.  But I think there is
a different reason:

Is it because krshna 13 is a pradosha? My reading of nirnayasindhu is that
according to Skandapurana if pradosha occurs on the 13th, Shivaratri
should be celebrated then rather than of krshna 14 however I'm not sure
I've translated it right. Further information gratefully accepted.