[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 51, Issue 6

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Jul 19 07:29:36 CDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, viswanathan n wrote:

> Shri Vyasji
>
> Thanks a lot for such a splendid presentation of Garuda Puarana in nutshell.
> Till now I was thinking that Garuda Purana is mere ritualistic recitation in
> dwaitic tradition. Thanks again to make me understand that it also contains
> nector of Jnana.
>
> But I didnt understand why you tried defending the rituals/ shastras in
> footnotes when things were so clear in the body itself. I always felt  those
> are mere means and once you understood "The Truth" even those are to dropped
> just as forgetting the boat after crossing the river. No point in getting
> attached to the boat and carrying it, isnt it?

It is easy to talk about Vairagya but how many can actually put it into
practice?  Yesterday was the cremation of the mother and son I mentioned.
I was there and when I saw that little baby looking as if he was just
sleeping next to his mommy and the wailing and crying of all those who
were now seperated from them, did I who write all these "scholarly" words
on advaita-l think of Vairagya and Moksha?  No I immediately thought of my
own wife and little children.  This is the natural tendency of the human
vessel that imprisons the immortal atma.  Only a few rare saints can
immediately apprehend the true import of the Shastras but for the rest of
us merciful Bhagawan has set the path of Karma alongside Jnana so those of
lesser ability may also build up Vairagya over time.  Above all, an
Advaitin has to be truthful--to others but especially to his self.  If one
believes in Vedanta but can't put it into practice that is not something
to be ashamed of but a problem to be worked on.  The Shastras provide
the key.

This is why the Garuda Purana and allAdvaitic works will tell you that
until the time when one is mentally and physically ready for sannyasa, all
the nitya and naimittika Karmas _MUST_ be observed.  In fact an Advaitin
will be even more diligent in this regard than a dualist because the
latter is only following the dictates of the Shastras out of self-interest
and ulterior motives whereas the advaitin only does so out of a sense of
duty and with a view to eventually transcending it.