[Advaita-l] Is vairAgya/renunciation a result of glumness??

Dr. V. Prasanna Shrinivas vpshri at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:48:49 CDT 2007

Nasmaste
The answer to this seemingly difficult question can be found in "Yoga,
enlightenment and Perfection of Sri Mahasannidhanam" written by Sri R.
M. Umeshji. The author vividly describes how H. H. Sri Chandrashekhara
Bharati Mahaswamigal instructed Acharyal as to the ways of conduct as
one progressed in the path of yoga. Srimad Bhagavad Gita also vividly
defines the state of a sthitaprajna.

Having said this, the very question as to how to conduct etc arise out
of ignorance. One need not feel ashamed of that. But has to conquer
that. How? Sri Gita Acharyan says in chapter 6

asa.nshayaM mahaabaaho mano durnigraha.n chalam.h .
abhyaasena tu kaunteya vairaagyeNa cha gR^ihyate

Practice is the key to perfection. It is not handwaving. Just as we
learnt formulae in smaller classes to calculate volume of a cube/cone
etc and as we graduated knew their derivations through calculus, it
suffices to follow the path of practice (swadharma) as imparted by our
scriptures which will automatically elevate us to live the life of a
sthitaprajna.

Our swadharma anushtanams teach us all parts of yoga. Doing it
meticulously with the object of satisfying the lord is bhakti yoga.
Offering the fruits that acrue out of them to the Lord is karma yoga.
For example, even in Sandhyavandanam, we are prompted to meditate
"brahmaivaahamasmi"  after offering arghyam. Because contemplating on
the brahman is swadharma. And this jnana yoga. So practice of
swadharma lead us to discrimination of the truth and relative truth
and otherwise.

One has to acquire the adhikara sampath to contemplate on the supreme
Self. Sadhan chatushtaya is a necessary condition for succeeding.

Satsangham is definitely aid in acquiring the above mentioned wealth
by the guru's grace. Shraddha (implicit faith in the words of the guru
and sastram) are pre-requisites to all of them.

sadguro sharanam.
Prasanna