[Advaita-l] Brief speech in Sanskrit

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jun 18 21:14:13 CDT 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Ajit Krishnan wrote:

> [1] This is the way every other language is taught. The Samskritam
> world is the only one I know of to put so much emphasis on the
> grammar-translation method. A vast portion of grammar learning comes
> very naturally in a language as you try to speak it.

Sanskrit ("perfected, systematized") differs from all Prakrit ("natural")
languages in this way.  That's because Sanskrit is the only language
until modern times where the grammar came first than the speech. If you
speak ungrammatical English then you are just speaking bad English.  If
you speak ungrammatical Sanskrit then you are not speaking Sanskrit at
all.