[Advaita-l] Ravi's guidelines

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jun 18 21:26:54 CDT 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Guy Werlings wrote:

> It happens, however, that I remain sometimes under the impression (maybe
> false) that a certain number of A-L members, while they pose to be advaitins
> are in fact behaving more or less like the dvaitins criticized in the Maa.
> Kaa. 3-17: firmly rooted (nishcitAH) in the methodologies leading to their
> own conclusions (svasidhAnta-vyavasthAsu) they stand arrayed against one
> another (parasparam virudhyante). The non-dualist never quarrels with
> anyone.

I don't think this is a valid analogy.  First of all the recent lengthy
arguments were about the nature of _advaita_ siddhanta.  There is nothing
wrong with enquiry--even loud, boisterous enquiry--on this topic.
Secondly, the advaitin never quarrels with anyone means that he should not
argue just to say "I'm better than you." But he can and should critique
dvaita in all its forms from the advaita viewpoint.  In fact
Gaudapadacharya repeatedly does exactly this.

The moderators had to put their foot down because the arguments were
devolving into personal attacks not because they were arguments per se.
Personally I may have been slow to respond because I felt there was some
light in all the heat.