Sringeri and Sureshvara (was Re: [Advaita-l] On recent mailsthe list has seen)

Stig Lundgren slu at bredband.net
Fri Mar 2 13:00:36 CST 2007

Dear Jaldhar,

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Stig Lundgren wrote:
>
> > According to tradition, Sri Sureshvara was the acharya of the Sringeri
matha
> > after it have been founded by Adi Shankara. However, Sureshvara is held
by
> > many to be the forerunner of Vivarana.
>

> That's not correct.  Vivarana is a commentary on the Brahmasutrabhashya
> commentary Panchapadika by Padmapadacharya.
>
> Sureshvaracharya did not comment on the Brahmasutrabhashya.

It is of course correct that Sureshvara did not comment upon Shankara´s
BSBh. But it is sometimes claimed that Sureshvara´s views on the locus of
avidyA paved the way for what later became the Vivarana standpoint, and that
Sureshvara´s standpoint where closer to the later Vivarana than the (also
later) Bhamati. Hence my question (regardless of whether this claim is true
or not).

On the other hand, there´s a tradition saying that Mandana Mishra and
Sureshvara where in fact the very same person.

Warmest regards
Stig Lundgren