Books on mImA.nsA (was Re: [Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 47, Issue 5)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 06:38:39 CDT 2007

Two books which are introductory, but which I have continuously found useful:

1. mImA.msA paribhAShA of kR^iShNa yajvan, translated by Swami
Madhavananda. Available from Ramakrishna Mutt

2. mAnameyodaya of nArAya.na, translated by Kunhan Raja and S. S
Suryanarayana Sastri, available from the Adyar Library

The first concentrates on injunctions, and how they function. The
second is solely about pramANa and prameya, and how they function, and
defends the bhaTTa view against other views (including advaita!).

In general, these two, in fact the first one alone, should suffice in
understanding shankara.

Another book which is supposed to be good is the translation of
mImA.msA nyAya prakAshA, edited and translated by Edgerton. I haven't
read this work.

And of course, the series on mImA.msA by our list member Kartik is a
good starting point.

Rama