[Advaita-l] RE: On the parakAyapraveSa legend about Sankara

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:56:48 CDT 2007

>   The quote :
>
>   "kim ahaM sAdhu na akaravam? kim ahaM pApam akaravam?"
>
>   remember having read this, but I could not recollect the context

I just quoted, without translation, from the end of the second section of
the taittirIya upanishat (brahmAnanda vallI). It means, "Did I not do
something right? Did I do something wrong / Did I sin?"

AnandaM brahmaNo vidvAn | na bibheti kutaScaneti | eta(g)M ha vA va na
tapati | kim aha(g)M sAdhu nAkaravam | kim ahaM pApam akaravam iti |

The teaching here is that the perfect jnAnI, who knows the bliss of brahman,
is unafraid of anything. Having transcended all action, both good and bad,
he is untouched by either puNya or pApa and doesn't worry whether he does
good or bad. Of course, this does not mean that he acts willfully. Rather,
he has burnt up even the seed of will or desire to act.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar