[Advaita-l] RE: On the parakAyapraveSa legend about Sankara

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:58:29 CDT 2007

On 3/26/07, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Let us be reasonable in our assessment of great texts like the SD,
> and if there are some minor issues that are not obvious to us, we
> should try to understand what the intention of the author might be,
> instead of nitpicking and pointing out flaws (which is actually
> mighty easy to do).

OIne thing I forgot. Let's keep this principle above in mind when
reading any book accepted by the tradition. A tradition will not form
around nonsensical ideas. Only thing is that I would change "pointing
out flaws" in the above to "pointing out alleged flaws", at least
regarding the mAdhavIyam. People have not found flaws in it for 700
years already, so I doubt if there are any. In any case, my personal
reading shows quite no flaws (for whatever that's worth).

Rama