[Advaita-l] Did Adi Shankara and his followers persecute others?

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:31:07 CDT 2007

praNAm all,

On 3/30/07, Varun Sud <varunsud2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> One Gaudiya Vaishnava I am discussing an issue with
> (the issue of Gaudiyas using strong words like
> rascals, offenders, etc for advaitins) claims the
> following:

Attack seems to be the best form of defence for such claimants!

Here are some of my observations; I'm not sure they'll help though:
i) Such claims are totally baseless.
ii) Hagiographies may be written by people for whatever gains they
seek and I doubt if such nonsense came from within advaita tradition.
iii) The references of Shankara using harsh language against opponents
is not seen in his works, AFAIK. People who seem to read harshness in
prasthAna traya have not understood nyAya and/ or know little
Sanskrit, if at all, and/ or are using translations; these translators
themselves have similar problems.
iv) I do not want to mention any names and get into a pointless
debate, but those who point fingers at the Acharya or advaita vedAnta
are those who have historically lost their stand against advaita and
find cheap tactics to voice it out. Perhaps, thats their politically
vigorous approach.
v) Advaita debates have always been between philosophies;
unfortunately, they are interpreted or made to appear as between
personalities!

Anyway, Varun, a personal note: Welcome to the group. Since you say
"Nothing like learning advaita from advaitins.", I do hope that you're
able to burn bridges behind and start things on a better foot,
focusing on the philosophical teachings. On any path, the learning
itself should be a feel-good factor and that, advaita does provide,
unlike some other paths. Best wishes on your journey.

shankarArpaNamastu,
--praveen