[Advaita-l] Discussion on Shankara Vedanta,

srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in
Sat May 5 00:47:11 CDT 2007

In his discussion on the Shankara Vedanta,Bhaskerji writes that "No need
to mention this strange avidya is quite contradictory to 'Lokanubhava"and
alien to Shankara siddhanta.I would like to know whether "avidya" is
discernible as to say that it is contradictory to "Lokanubhava"?Though I
have lot of respect for Sri Sri Sachidanandendra Saraswathi swamiji,I feel
that he has not touched upon this crucial aspect,that is,what led the
later advaitins particularly Padmapada,Sureshwara to different blatantly
in the interpretation of the Shankara vedanta by thrusting a new
word"Mulavidya"etc.into the siddhanta?It is historically known and also
from the Vyakyanas that Padmapada,Sureshwara lived with Shankara
Bhagawatpada.In the Panchapadika,Padmapada pays obeisance to Shankara by
calling Shankara as the "Bhasyavittaka Guru"what was the position of
Shankara Vedanta after Shankara to make these Vyakyanakaras to differ in
such an extent as to introduce new terminologies which are not found in
Shankara Bhasyas.NSrikanta.