[Advaita-l] Creation ex nihilo (was Re: Advaita vEdAnta - Unit(27))

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon May 7 01:47:26 CDT 2007

BTW, there is no existent effect, only apparent
effect, and hence only apparent cause - adhyasa. No
one believes that the apparent silver in nacre has to
be removed first by the true knowledge of nacre. It is
only one’s own false notions of it that has to be
removed(Su. Bh). How else could one reconcile "tat
tvam asi" here and now?

praNAms mAtAji
Hare Krishna

Yes, shankara in his preamble to sUtra bhAshya promptly admits that
*AtmAnAtma adhyAsa*,  if logically questioned,  cannot be proved coz. both
are (Atma & anAtma) poles apart in their qualities  like darkness and
light.  But with the same breath he says though *anyonyAdhyAsa*  is *yukti
viruddhA* it is *lOkAnubhava sammata* & to explain this natural phenomena,
he goes on giving examples which we are familiar in our day to day
transactions..So, it is a simple truth that the *logical* (!!??) theory of
*effective* adhyAsa  & the cause for it in the form of bhAvarUpa avidyA
have not been found a place in shankara bhAshya.  Perhaps,  shankara might
have not thought  that avidyA which is quite natural to us is *so*
complicated concept :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar