[Advaita-l] Discussions on Shankara Vedanta

sreenivasa murthy narayana145 at yahoo.co.in
Sun May 27 07:27:39 CDT 2007

From: H.N.Sreenivas Murthy
  Pranams to all readers.

  Dear readers,

srikanta at nie.ac.in wrote:

  I am following with interest the Discussions on shankara vedanta.I am
seeing that the discussions are going off tangent and slip into mere
sophistry."What is one's true nature?Are we able to comprehend what is our
true nature?"This needs explanation and not mere quoting from some book or
the other.
N.Srikanta.

  Now the time has come to say GoodBye to Avidya  and to welcome Vidya
  wholeheartedly. I completely agree with Sri Srikanta.

  Let us enter into the portals of Vidya.

   I am quoting two mantras from the 7th chapter of Chandogya Upanishad:

   sa Eva adhastAt  sa upariShTAt  sa paScAt sa purastAt sa dakShinataH  sa uttarataH sa EvEdagM sarvamiti  atha ataH  ahaMkArAdESa Eva ahamEva adhastAt  aham upariShTAt aham  paScAt aham putastAt aham dakShiNataH
  aaham uttarataH ahamEvEdagM sarvamiti || 7-25-1"That infinite, indeed, is below. It is above. It is behind. It is before. It is to the south. It is to the north. The Infinite, indeed, is all this.
"Next follows the instruction about the Infinite with reference to ‘I’:
I, indeed, am below. I am above. I am behind. I am before. I am to the south. I am to the north. I am, indeed, all this.
  athAta AtmAdESaEvaAtmaivAdhastAt AtmOpariShTAdAtmA  paScAdAtmA purastAdAtmA  dakShiNata  AtmOttarata AtmaivEdagM sarvamiti ||
  7-25-2
  "Next follows the instruction about the Infinite with reference to the Self: The Self indeed, is below. It is above. It is behind. It is before. It is to the south. It is to the north. The Self, indeed, is all this.

  Sri Shankara says:
        a) yathABUtArthavAditvAt vEdasya||
              [bruhadaranyaka 1-4-10]
        b)SrutEryathArthatattvaprakASakatvAt ||
                  [Prasna 4-5]
   Shastra states existing facts .
  The mantras reveal one's own TRUE NATURE.
   How can a mumukshu realize the facts stated in the above mantras and thus realize his TRUE NATURE?

        I invite responses from the enlightened and scholars of this group .

  With warm and respectful regards,
  Sreenivasa Murthy