[Advaita-l] Fwd: SSS, avidyA, shrI Ramakrishnan

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon May 28 23:14:10 CDT 2007

praNAm all,

namaste Yadu-ji,

Here's a thought: I think *questioning* the guru, seemingly
contradictory, to understand the teaching better is more of *opening
the door*. Guru-droha would be *arguing* against it to *override* the
teaching.

Just to lighten the moment, I recall a statement (hopefully properly)
from western philosophy in this context. Plato seems to have said
about his disciple Aristotle that the latter is "like a calf that
kicks its mother after sucking her dry of her milk".

Thanks,
--praveen

On 5/29/07, Dr. Yadu Moharir <ymoharir at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Namste Kartik-Ji:
>

>   Does adavita support views regarding "gurudroha"?
>
>   guru is supposed to open the does for learning and not tie him (disciple) down to himself?
>
>   Thank you,
>
>   Dr. Yadu
>

>   S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Actually, I would dispute that -- in the Vedic tradition, it is
> indeed an unpardonable sin to argue against one's Guru's teachings
> after accepting the Guru as an authority and learning respectfully
> from him. Kumarila Bhatta, after learning the doctrine of the
> Bauddhas and arguing against it, consumed himself by fire because he
> believed that he would be setting a bad example for others in the
> Vedic tradition to commit Guru-droha.
>
> Regards,
> Kartik

Cheers!