[Advaita-l] Fw: How shruti is antya pramANa in advaita vEdAnta?? (fwd)

savithri devaraj savithri_devaraj at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 12:23:24 CDT 2007

--- Praveen <bhatpraveen at gmail.com> wrote:

> praNAm all,
>
> Namaste Savitriji,
>
> > In fact Sri Satchidanandendra Saraswati Swamiji>
> whole-heartedly declares that moksha is possible for
> > an eligible seeker at the instant of just hearing
> the
> > sruti vakya from a guru, while many other
> advaitins
> > say that more practice and meditation is required.
>
> Assuming that an eligible seeker is the one who has
> followed (and
> mastered) sAdhanA chAtushTaya. In which case, aren't
> all advaitins on
> the same page w.r.t. moksha being instantaneous on
> hearing shruti
> vAkya from a guru? Are there some advaitins who say
> that even for such
> a seeker, practice and meditation is required?

Namaste Praveenji,

No, not all advaitins believe that moksha is
instantaneous even for a fully eligible (sAdhana
cAtushtaya sampanna) seeker.

Not to open another can of worms, but since you ask,
there are those who believe that moksha can only be at
the fall of the body, i.e, when you attain knowledge,
your body falls off. Others believe that though a
person can live as a jivamukta, he still has some
avidya-lesha and that he can only achieve liberation
after death of the body. These people believe that
videha-mukti is the only form of liberation. And still
some others even believe that hearing the maha-vAkyas
are not enough, but they have to repeat the
maha-vAkyas to achieve liberation.
So, I am not really sure how much these people
emphasize sAdana-cAtushtaya sampattih. Although they
may believe it's a pre-requisite for jnAna, they seem
to discount it a lot.
This is what I have gathered from my readings, I can't
tell you any more about this.

Hope this helps,
Savithri

____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.