[Advaita-l] Discussion on Ekadandi monks

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 19:57:10 CDT 2007

Dear Sri Srikanta,

I think this discussion is going at cross-purposes. As I read it, Sri Ganesh Ramachandran is making only the following point.

>From all the available Madhva tradition's sources, it is clear that acyutapreksha tIrtha was an ekadaNDin monk belonging to the advaita tradition, who initiated AnandatIrtha into saMnyAsa. He is making a historical observation that the monks of the dvaita tradition continue to use the name tIrtha as a suffix. It does not matter whether Sankara started this name suffix or whether it existed even before him or only started after him.

What you highlight is an altogether different matter, that AnandatIrtha a.k.a. Madhva developed a different philosophical tradition within vedAnta. Ganesh Ramachandran is not disputing this at all, inasmuch as this does not take away from the original affiliations of Madhva's guru.

As such, I think both points have been made well and repeated, so let us please consider this discussion closed.

Regards,
Vidyasankar
Moderator, Advaita-L