[Advaita-l] giving up of karma

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:44:44 CDT 2007

namaskAraH,

On 09/10/2007, Ravi Parimi <rparimi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most vaidika karmas are kamya karmas only - done with a motive to
> fulfill one's desires. While these karmas may be performed by
> grihastas, sanyasis shouldn't have any need to perform these, as they
> do not desire any of the glorious results that the vaidika karmas hold
> in store.
>
> In the case of a nitya karma like sandhya vandanam, the mantras at
> several places emphasize doership of the karmi  (prataH sanDhyAM
> kariShyAmi, .... araBhey etc..) Also, what use is saMkalpa to a
> sanyasi, who has renounced gotra, nAma etc?

Your points above don't answer my question. Whether most vaidika
karma-s or only a small minority are kAmya karma-s is immaterial to my
question. Even gRhastha-s are generally advised to avoid kAmya
karma-s. If avoiding kAmya karma-s was the point, then saMnyAsI-s
should simply avoid them alone. Why avoid nitya & naimittika karma-s.

On nitya karma-s emphasizing doership, the same holds true of any
number of pUjA-s also. They are full of words like samarpayAmI,
dhArayAmI, kariShyAmI, and so forth.

On 09/10/2007, bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> It is because saNyAsi is opted for jnAna (Atma jnAna) as against
> karma...Our smruti texts prohibits saNyAsi's doing any kAmya karma because
> saNyAsis devote themselves exclusively for tapas & shraddha...Since most of
> the vaidika karma-s are meant for obtaining some fruits or other, it is not
> recommended for a sarva karma saNyAsi.

The same point as above. If kAmya karma-s are the issue, then only
they should be avoided, why avoid all vaidika karma-s?

And again, if a saMnyAsI can perform candramaulIshvara pUjA, SrIvidyA
upAsanA, etc then what is the issue with vaidika karma-s?

> As you know, there are various types of sanyAsa (like smArtha,
> vividishA, paramahaMsa etc.) &  all are not strictly prohibited from
> vidhi-s.

I am aware that certain types of saMnyAsi-s wear yaj~nopavIta etc. We
had a recent discussion on that as well. My question was in the
context of daSanAmI saMnyAsI-s only who are supposed to give up
vaidika karma.

dhanyavAdaH
Ramesh