[Advaita-l] athma is mere function of the brain [was: concept ofsoul]

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Sun Oct 14 07:12:00 CDT 2007

Dear Sri Sethuraman
Athma is supreme consciousness.That is  It knows that it is conscious.All
forms of energy are inert.They donot have the consciousness to know what
they are upto.For eg.,if you type a letter or a word the comp faithfully
shows it on its monitor but it is not aware of what it is doing.You only
interpret it to be a word or a letter.Human body including the brain-brain
is only part of the body and it is a modification of cells-yes it thinks etc
but who interprets the thinking as good or bad?This is the supreme
consciousness which knows what is what.Brain is like a comp so to say.But
the interpreter is the Athman.
Where exactly is its location I think it is not localised.It is every where
inside the body.Because even after brain`s death there were occasions when
body was alive.Sri Donald O.Hebb a noted biological
psychologist -[1904-1985]has this much to say and I quote``Modern psychology
takes completely for granted thatbehaviour and neural function are perfectly
correlated....
There is no separate soul or life force to stick a finger into the brain now
and then and make neural cells do what they would not otherwise.....It is
quite coceivable that someday the assumption will have to be rejected.But it
is important also to see that we have not reached that day yet......One
cannot logically be a determinist in physics and chemistry and biology and a
mystic in psychology.``.I have my reservations that science cannot prove
everything because human brain has its own limitations.
R.Krishnamoorthy.