[Advaita-l] vidyA and jñAna

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 9 11:44:50 CDT 2007

Sarvebhyo namonamaH |
I remember having read somewhere the following "definition"

dharati dharayati lokam iti dharmaH |

I am not pretty sure this can be found in the amarakosha. Is it not a popular saying or popular etymology, which are abundant in sanskrit, have I heard also?
Does there exist similar definitions or "etymologies" for the words/concepts vidyA and jñAna?
dhanyavAdaH |
Guy W.

P.-S. I remember having committed to my memory about 45 years ago the sentence or half sentence "saH vidyA yaH vimuktaye". Is that also one of these popular sayings or may more sholarly references be provided? Thanks for your help O you sons of sanAtana BhArata !