[Advaita-l] Discussion on karma khanda in Advaita vedanta

Krunal Makwana makwanakb at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:43:29 CDT 2007

Jai Sri Krsna

> Nice point. I've also seen instances where Sanyasis participate in
> homas, pujas, social activities (supposedly to save our heritage),
> start proceedings of weddings etc. Such activities are unbecoming of
> sanyasis - seems like most of these activities are motivated by
> financial pursuits (in terms of developing their ashrams) or gaining
> fame..

I agree the fact that sanyAsis are not bound to nitya karma but saying that
they are not allowed to perform puja, homas etc seems abit too far fetched.

Let us remember that bhagavadpAda also performed his mothers funeral rites
even though it was against tradition.

If our saints do not show us the path of rituals and puja to do, then who
will?

In the swaminArAyana sampradaya, the sanyAsis are still bound to do karma,
regardless if they are 'realised' or not.

I was also just looking at some pictures of mahA sannidhAnam of shR^igeri
matha doing puja and abhisheka on deities, is this also wrong?

Kind Regards,

Krunal