[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 53, Issue 17

Ganesh Ramachandran ramachandran.ganesh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:24:03 CDT 2007

Dvaita monks are also ekadandins, but for purely historical reasons.
Madhvaacharya (shrimad aananda tiirtha) was initiated into sannyaasa by a
Advaitic sannyasin, acyutaprekSa tiirtha. Maadhvaacharya later refuted the
advaita system and wrote bhaashyas according to his Dvaita worldview. Thus,
to this day, maadhva sannyasins carry one danda and dashanaami suffixes,
usually tiirtha. They make it thoroughly clear that their ekadanda does not
represent the non-dual Brahman.
Ganesh