[Advaita-l] Fw :Pourakutsa gotra abhivadya (fwd)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Aug 19 23:31:19 CDT 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> Sir, thanks for the prompt help.
> Would appreciate if you could let me know the details of this book, ISBN
> NO., author and any scriptural references ?

This is actually a souvenir from a maharudrayajna which was performed by
the Brahmana samaj in my home town a few years back.  Based on the tip
from Vidyashankar I looked at the Nirnayasindhu and it seems this book is
mostly just a Gujarati translation of the gotrapravaranirnaya section of
that work.  The Nirnayasindhu is a popular compendium on dharmashastra
which has been published several times from all over India.

There do seem to be some small differences.  For instance this list
includes paurukutsa but not Vishnuvrddha which the Nirnayasindhu includes
as Vidyashankar noted.  Also in this list the gotra is given first
and then the other pravaras.  E.g. it says for my bhAradvAja gotra,
bharadvaja, bR^ihaspati, angirasa whereas the Nirnayasindhu says angirasa,
bArhaspatya, bhAradvAja.  In my family we say it the former way.

> From whatever little I have
> gleaned by talking to elders, the Gotra information is common and there
> is no difference for North or South.

I wasn't sure so I gave the warning.  Shistachara is as important as
Shruti and Smrti in determining Dharma.