[Advaita-l] Fw :Pourakutsa gotra abhivadya

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 04:43:00 CDT 2008

2008/8/20 Ramesh Krishnamurthy <rkmurthy at gmail.com>:
> trasadasyu, who figures in the pravara list of this gotra, was an
> ikShvAku king and purukutsa was his son.

A correction to what I wrote above. Actually, purukutsa was
trasadasyu's father.

As per the  purANa-s, narmadA was purukutsa's wife and trasadasyu was
their son. The nAga-s were being harassed by the gandharva-s and they
prayed to viShNu for help, whereupon viShNu, in the form of king
purukutsa, married the nAga princess narmadA and conquered the
gandharva-s.

Historically, it is probable that the river was named after king
purukutsa's wife.