[Advaita-l] Gurukula system - Is it Vedic?

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 15:31:07 CDT 2008

There are several references to Gurukula in the MahabhArata (Adi Parva). (I don't want to use the phrase "The Gurukula system", because that has political connotations).

I would in turn ask the gentleman "Sabhlok" where in the Veda does he find a reference to "harminising divine, spiritual and material knowledge of matter which has unsuspected vitality owing to energy principle in Shuniya (cosmic void)?" (sic).

Couple of references to Gurukula in the MahAbhArata:

1)

http://sanskritdocuments.org/mirrors/mahabharata/txt/01.txt

  athotta~Nko gurushushrUShurguru niyogamanutiShThamAnastatra
  guru kule vasati sma .

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01004.htm

  "So Utanka always mindful of the injunction of his preceptor took
  up his abode in the latter's house (Gurukula)."

2)

http://sanskritdocuments.org/mirrors/mahabharata/txt/01.txt

  sa.nhitAdhyayana.n kurvanvasanguru kule cha yaH .
  bhaikShamuchchhiShTamanyeShAM bhu~Nkte chApi sadA sadA .
  kIrtayanguNamannAnAmaghR^iNI cha punaH punaH .. 18..\\

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01170.htm

  "When he [Yaja] lived in the house of his preceptor (Gurukula),
  employed in studying the institutes, he always used to eat (impure)
  remnants of other people's feasts. He always speaks approvingly
  of food and entertains no dislike for anything."

Regards,
Kartik