[Advaita-l] Analysis of the Mind-7

Sandeep Shetty sandeep.shetty.b at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 03:35:06 CST 2008

Sadanandaji Namaste,

     Thanks for sending this excellent analysis.....

But I have one doubt regarding this

> Let us illustrate with an example: When I drank for the first time a
delicious cup of
 > South Indian coffee, that someone has offered me, I liked it so much that
I want to have
 > it again for the next day. While the cup of coffee that my friend gave me
pleasure, which
> is an immediate tangible effect, it had also intangible effect. It left
behind a subtle
> impression in my mind, to have that experience again. That subtle
impression is called
> vaasana, meaning fragrance of that action in the mind. Since I liked it so
much, I went
 > to shop, bought all the ingredients needed, and started making it at
home, first thing in
> the morning.  I began to enjoy that hot cup of coffee in the morning,
everyday. Every
 > time I enjoy that coffee, the subtle impression in the mind or that
coffee- vaasana
 > becomes stronger and stronger, day by day.

My doubt is what is the source of likes or dislikes in us for the first
time....?

Say two persons had same South Indian Coffee for the first time.....One
might like it ,but other person might dislike it.
And as you said, depending on these subtler impressions on their mind, first
person might continue to have coffee and other
person might stop it.

But why these two people had different experieneces while having  same cofee
for the first time (When there were no subtler impressions
in their mind about coffee yet!!!) ....? How one person liked his first
experience of coffee and other disliked it?

Why people have different tastes when mind is just about subtler
impressions...?

>Looking at the mechanics of this process reveals that deliberate or
ego-centric actions
> will leave intangible impressions of likes or dislikes called Vaasanas in
the core of the
> mind. These Vaasanas, in turn, cause desires at the intellect level,
agitations at the
> mind level, and actions at the body level. Unless those desires are
fulfilled, I become
>restless.  I go in search of environments that are conducive for the
fulfillment of my
> desires or vaasanas. All ego-centric desires are grosser manifestations of
the subtler
> impressions in the mind, the vaasanas. When vaasanas manifest as desires,
they cause
> agitations in the mind, and the mind becomes restless until those desires
are fulfilled.
> When the coffee vaasana manifests as desire for coffee, my mind is no more
free to think
> anything else other than that hot cup of coffee that I think I need for me
to be happy. I
> one form or the other. They will express as anger, frustration or
irritation, etc. We are
>all familiar with these experiences. On the other hand, when a desire is
fulfilled, my
> mind becomes calm and quiet, and I am happy until of course the next set
of vaasanas
> drives me to do something else.  I will be tossed from one desire to the
other for me to
> be happy. Life becomes a rat race, trying to fulfill one desire after the
other.

So for a person who is having coffee for the first time, why should he be
happy or unhappy...? Since there are
no subtler impressions about coffee yet (no vasanaas) , there are no
agitations at the mind level which made him restless.
But still one feels happy or unhappy immediately after first
experience....!!!

Please clarify this.....

With best regards,

Sandeep