[Advaita-l] On Bhakti Yoga

Krunal Makwana makwanakb at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 8 03:36:31 CST 2008

Jai Sri Krsna,

Dear Pranavji,

This is my understanding of the verse in mention.

Krsna who is the AtmA of all beings [1] is svayama prakAshita, hence AtmA is
also svayam prakAshita. Now if there were a difference of 'prakAsha' in each
AtmA this would then conduce there is more than one AtmA, which is opposed
to the view of AV. And if there was 'more' prakAsha' in one soul than
another it would contradict the Lords statement [2]

Now when Krsna shows 'preference' to souls, it is not because he favours
them or not, but it relies on the devotee who has recognised his own
position as one with Krsna.

The same 'prakAsha' is within everyone and hence the Lord doesn't favour or
unfavour anyone, it solely depends on the sAdhaka who is genuinely seeking
enlightenment and for this the Lord, gently rids them of obstacles which
pose a threat to his/her development [3].

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Krunal

Reference:
[1] IshvaraH sarvabhUtAnA.n hR^iddeshe.arjuna tiShThati B.G. 18.61
[2] samo.ahaM sarvabhUteShu na me dveShyo.asti na priyaH . 9.29
The same am I to all beings; to Me there is none hateful or dear;
[3] ananyAshchintayanto mA.n ye janAH paryupAsate .
     teShA.n nityAbhiyuktAnA.n yogakShemaM vahAmyaham.h 9.22
22.To those men who worship Me alone, thinking of no other, of those ever
united, I secure what is not already possessed and preserve what they
already possess.