[Advaita-l] Mahavakyas of Upnishaths

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Tue Jan 15 13:32:20 CST 2008

Dear members
I would like to share my thoughts about why the four oft quoted Upanishathic vakyas are called great.As said all vakyas of upanishaths are all equally great there is no doubt about it.We are searching the Brahman and the sruthi helps us to realise the Brahman.These four vakyas help one to contemplate on Brahman by calling attention to where exactly
one should concentrate and stay focussed to realise It.Hence our forefathers have labelled them as Mahavakyas.
R.Krishnamoorthy