[Advaita-l] gita commentaries (was: what is siddhiH)

Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra, Water) vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com
Fri Jan 25 09:07:09 CST 2008

To my knowledge, with respect to gItAbhAshya, it is up to the individual
teacher/student, which other text to study in parallel. Anandagiri's
TIkA is popular as far as further elucidation of Sankara bhagavatpAda's
bhAshya is concerned. My own approach is to turn to Anandagiri for
clarification/confirmation of whether I have understood things right
when I read through the bhAshya.

nIlakaNTha wrote a commentary on the entire mahAbhArata
(bhArata-bhAva-dIpa). Both he and dhanapatisUrin are relatively recent
authors. But the commentaries of abhinavagupta, SrIdhara and madhusUdana
sarasvatI are better studied separately, I think, because they have
independent things to say about the gItA. abhinavagupta's gItA, the
so-called Kashmiri recension, even has about 45 verses more than the
standard version that the other commentators have. If one is interested
in a comparative study of how the gItA has been interpreted variously,
then yes, but I don't think that will directly aid in a study of
bhagavatpAda's bhAshya itself.

Regards,
Vidyasankar