[Advaita-l] the sense of "I"

Marko Gregoric markogregori at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 05:11:28 CDT 2008

Namaste

The sense of "I" cannot be detached from the other perceived objects
"floating in consciousness" because it is itself a part of consciousness.
Waking up from deep sleep, for example, gives birth to the sense of "I"
together with everything else. It simply sticks to the perceived all the
time. How can it be separated from the perceived? It is impossible. During
deep sleep there is no sense of "I" at all but your real nature is still
there, with or without the sense of "I". So the identification with the "I"
is in my opinion also maya.
In other words, the sense of "I" is also perceived and as the perceived
cannot be the perceiver (which is your real nature), the "I" is not your
real nature. Your real nature therefore posesses no sense at all. All senses
can only exist in the domain of consciousness.
That which wakes up in the morning is not your real self, that is maya.

; )

Marko