[Advaita-l] Question on Katopanishad bhashyam (v 1-3-10)

Murali Karamchedu murali_m_k at msn.com
Tue Jul 29 11:54:05 CDT 2008

Dear Senaniji,

I read the text slightly differently...

>'mahatpratyagaatmabhutam' - like/comparable-to the individual-soul called
>mahat.

I translated  mahatpratyagAtmabhUtam in “tebhyo’pyarthebhyaSca param.
sUkSmataram. mahatpratyagAtmabhUtam. ca manaha” as “constituted of
mahat as its pratyagAtman”

Also,
>"manasah aarambhakam bhutasookShamam" - from manas has started the subtle
>form of life.

Here, in the sentence “manaha SabdavAcyam. manasa Arambakam.
bhUtasUkSmam”, I took bhUtasUkSmam as a shashTI-tatpurusha; so that
would be bhUtasya + sUkSmam = bhUtasUkSmam (like vrkSasya mUlam. =
vrkSamUlam. ). So, I read it as manaha – manasa Arambakam SabdavAcyam.
bhUtasya sUkSmam. ( i.e ‘manas’, meaning the subtle entity of the gross
object(s) such as speech etc which originated from the manas.)

-Murali Manohar