[Advaita-l] moxa-sAdhanA

Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra, Water) vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com
Fri Jun 6 11:41:57 CDT 2008

>According to pUrva mImAMsA dharma consists in
>obedience to Vedic Injunctions. However, without
>getting into Sabda-chala (Vedic or Dharmic) it is
>clear that many injunctions of shruti (whether they
>are animal sacrifices for evil purpose or for secular
>gains) and smRti

Ananta, Vedic injunctions presume a particular desire on
the part of the man who wishes a particular result. There
is no injunction that says that everyone should sacrifice.
Rather, every injunction is of the form, "if you desire
such and such, then do this sacrifice."  A man's raised
conscience can always work on his own desires, rather
than standing in judgment over Sastra.

We live in a society where tons of meat are processed
every day, on an industrial scale, for human consumption.
Is animal sacrifice sanctioned by the Vedas really that
big a problem for anybody?

Regards,
Vidyasankar