[Advaita-l] Qualifications to Recite Vedas - A doubt

Mahadevan Babu babunim at optushome.com.au
Tue Jun 10 15:49:04 CDT 2008

Thank You Bhaskarji and Raviji,

The reason I am asking this is in context of few people sincerely
wishing that Vedas should be imparted to all whomsoever eager, which
is very genuine and sincere.
They are also of the opinion that this is the reason that many Veda
Shakhas have been lost in due course of time and that they want this
to flourish by imparting to all without any discrimination.

However, we know that Vedas are Shruthi, which is taught in Guru -
Shishya parampara that is  " Guru Mukhena Vedithavyam ".  So, if I
want to impart to others, I should have the permission from my
Teacher, who does not permit me to teach to persons without
UpanayaNam, which I sincerely abide by as this is also Sasthra
PramaNam and Shradha is " Guru Vedantha Vakyeshu Visvasaha: ".

As you very rightly say, I tell them the same thing as for Self
Knowledge and Bhakthi, chant Vishnu Sahasranamam , Bhajans and
Bhagawat Gita.  But, the aspirants are eager to go to the root of the
knowledge being Veda.

You are right, most of the purohits remain in the Veda Purvam as it is
their profession and I am sure it will be leading them to the Veda
Antham and I dare not judge by external observance on their spiritual
progress.

I am of the opinion that Veda Purvam = Religion and Veda Antham =
Spirituality.

Many of the aspirants want to learn Vedas from the Veda Antham aspect
of Spirituality as well. This is where the dilemna lies.

SRI GURUBYO NAMAHA

M.Babu