[Advaita-l] Discussion on "Knowledge and the means of Knowledge", with reference to VP

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Mar 18 16:18:10 CDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, sivaramakrishnan muthuswamy wrote:

> Dear All,

> Please help me in understanding the line "envelops the object,and takes
> the shape of the object".  How it is possible in Advaitic stand point of
> view? I was thinking that all these time that mind itself take the form
> of the object as it is the source and sink .

This would mean there is no objective reality.  It is an illusion "all in
your head."  However this is not the Advaitic understanding.

   But the explanation of
> Dharmarajaji allows the dvaitic point of view where the object should
> have existed earlier so that mind can envelope it (just like the cast
> for metal/Wax sculpture should have existed before so that the gold
> smith can melt the gold and pour on the cast).

All objects and categories are created by Ishvara (God) at the time of
creation and dissolved by Him at the pralaya.  This cycle continues
indefinitely.

>From the point of view of the created, duality is "real"  It is from a
higher perspective that we see that mind and its objects are transient and
not real.  Even God who we assume to be a creator, maintainer, and
destroyer is in fact none of those and it is ignorance which causes the
false assumption.