[Advaita-l] Etymology of names of upanishad-s

Ananta Bhagwat ananta14 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 13:55:15 CDT 2008

Namaste,

I was trying to trace etymology of names of pramANa upanishad-s:

(1) bRhadAraNyaka (bRhat = great upanishad)
(2) chAndogya (chAndoga is the singer of sAma)
(3) taittirIya (sage tittira, the disciple of sage vaiSaMpAyana)
(4) aitareya (sage aitareya mahidAsa)
(5) kaTha (or kaThaka, etymology could not be traced)
(6) ISa (ISAvAsya the first word of the upanishad)
(7) kena (kena, the first word, by whom)
(8) muNDaka (root muND = to shave of (Ignorance))
(9) praSna (questions)
(10) mANDUkya (maNDUka = toad, no further clarifications)
(11) SvetASvetara (sage of the same name)
(12) kaushitaki (saMsArikam sukham yasya kushitaH eva kushitakaH...)

Can any body confirm these and elaborate the etymology of kaTha, mANDUkya, and kaushitaki? The kaushitaki etymology is mentioned in Sri Radhakrishnan's "Principle Upanishads", however, its meaning is not clear to me. If these etymologies are available in archives please let me know the reference.

ananta