[Advaita-l] Etymology of names of upanishad-s

Ananta Bhagwat ananta14 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 00:26:24 CDT 2008

Namaste and dhanyavAdaH

Very interesting information! There are some questions still because I was also looking at their meaning.
Admittedly one can not go to the absolute root of all words since they are shrouded in obscurity because of their antiquity, still I believe following names beg answers:

(1) kaTha or kaThaka: does it mean a story or a parable or an edge (ref: some blogs which I surfed) or some other meaning? Since it is a name of Shakha as confirmed by you, last option looks more probable. Could you shed some light?

(2) mANDUkya: I believe it is in some way connected to frog. Any connection with three stages of frog in his life cycle and the subject of the upanishad?

(3) kaushitaki: Is it related to some word kutsitaH (skeptic or sarcastic)?. I understans Shankarananda (c. 16th century) had explained its etymology in Sanskrit but was not clear to me because of my inadequate Sanskrit knowledge.

One can ask similar questions in respect of other names, but since in those cases tangible object has been identified (i.e. sage or a bird or a singer, my curiosity is satisfied).

ananta