[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

sivaramakrishnan muthuswamy muthushiv at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 15:55:15 CDT 2008

Praveenji please accept my humble pranams.  I agree with your comment on sankalpa.  Let me put it this way, with out sankalpa those who aims for jnana, attaining is difficult.  Here we have to question what is the use of sankalpa.  The sankalpa leads to non-attachment in the activities.  Essentially the disciple attains chitta sudhi (Mind purification).  As a result he qualifies/obtains for jnana as it is instantaneous.  Delusional snake instantaneously changes as rope upon realizing the true nature of rope.

With respect to Ramana Maharishi, the jnana he attained was instantaneous. As a by-product/ side-effect he became detached.  This lead him to Arunachala forest.  Here the Jnana precedes the effect.  While, the earlier comment was - unless and until non-detachment was practiced obtaining jnana is not possible. My point of view is purified mind is the one and only qualification for jnana. How you achieve is a different issue. In hindu dharma, Varnashram dharma has been prescribed to achieve the mind purity and also act as a very good cassette to function efficiently in the phenomenal world.  This is how I understand our dharma.

Sincerely

Hari Om Tat Sat,

Siva