[Advaita-l] meaning for certain mantras

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 09:19:59 CDT 2008

subhaanave mahodayaaya namah!

Sir,

It is very interesting that you point out that the maarjana mantra starting with "dadhikraavuNNo akaarisham.." refers to a horse, as it no doubt does (the mantra continues as .. jishnOh aSvasya vaajinah...). I am sure that this mantra, followed by "aapo hishThaa mayo bhuvah..." (which is a prayer to the waters to be good for the saadhaka) is a part of the sandhyaa vidhi followed by many. There, the purpose is only purification, and no curds are involved as in abhishechanam. I wonder, then, how the use of the mantra starting with "dadhikraavuNNo..." for maarjana with water is explained.

Regards
Senani