[Advaita-l] karma revisited -2

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 07:42:51 CDT 2008

Shree Narayan Iyer

PraNAms

You have asked very pertinent questions. I will try to answer to the best I can.

About the prayer and its efficacy - here is a recent interesting story I read in Yahoo or so.

Few devotees got together and built a beautiful temple as a place of prayer and worship.

One fellow, who does not pray, built a liquor shop right in front of the temple, angering all the devotees of the temple.  The devotees prayed to the Lord to get rid of the liquor shop and this fellow just smiled at their prayers.  It so happened that some lightning stoke the liquor shop and it get burned down.  This liquor owner sued the temple devotees that it is because of their prayer his shop got destroyed.  The devotees of the temple were happy that the shop got destroyed, but said they have nothing to do with the destruction of the shop. It is not their prayers that did the destruction.

Judge finds the case is very peculiar.  Here is the man who does not belief in God, but beliefs that prayer by the devotees to the god can do the job. And here are the devotes who believe in God but do not believe that that prayer cannot do the job.

Leaving aside the story let us ask what the prayer does.

There are some tangle effects and some intangible effects and results.

1. Prayer helps the devotees’ minds that are agitated, because of the situation or the anticipated results, to calm down. That will open up their minds to see the possibilities that would otherwise be difficult to see for agitated minds. A calm and quiet mind alone is capable of inquiry. Hence the solutions can get revealed to the contemplative mind. Hence surrenderance is the most efficient way of purification of the mind.

2. Prayer itself is a subtle action. Since the results of the action is determined by the totality or Iswara, and the results depends on so many factors that are beyond our control (in Chaos theory they teach a butterfly effect - saying the fluttering of butterfly in remote village in china can affect the weather in NY - since system is non-linear). Hence prayer forms a subtle action that can affect the system in subtle way.  Most important is prayer will help to consolidate the like minds to get united; and united mind in action is difficult to recon with. That is the power of prayer.  It is not a gross but subtle action that can have its results. We do not know all the factors that enter into the equation in framing the results of an action. Lord does not do any favor to any body but proper prayer I myself is changing the factors that determine the equation – hence the statement – ye bhajantitu maam bhktyaa mayi te teshu caapyaham – those who
 worship me they are in me or in tune with me and I am in tune with them.

3. In discussing the karma and upaasana - in the first portion of Mundaka says that ritualistic action that includes upaasana also discussed in Vedas are satyam in the sense they do give the results promised provided you do the action as prescribed.

This much I know. I am not a ritualist. But I find myself praying first thing in the morning and last thing in the night and in between any time that I have nothing else to do just to remind myself the beauty and majesty of His glory in all the manifestations that I see in front. I cannot but bow down in my mind with humility seeing the majestic display of his glory. That is my prayer - I weak moments I do pray in my mind reminding myself the prayer of serenity. So prayer does help. Surrenderance with understanding is emphasized in all scriptures.

Hope this answers your questions.

Hari Om!
Sadananda